Saturday, March 9, 2019

Entering Lent

Due to last week’s weather, Sunday will be the first time some of our Mountain Sky Conference churches have gathered since General Conference. Enter the sanctuary with hearts full of tenderness for one another. There has been a wounding of the Body that has impacted all of us. Come together with all your emotions and bring it to God in prayer. 


Psalm 91 reminds us: “If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,” says God,

    “I’ll get you out of any trouble.

I’ll give you the best of care

    if you’ll only get to know and trust me.

Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times;

    I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party.

I’ll give you a long life,

    give you a long drink of salvation!” (Psalm 91: 14-16-The Message)


I give thanks that we have entered the season of Lent. It is a rich spiritual journey from brokenness and death to healing and new life.  May we fast, study, pray, serve, and listen for God’s still small voice. Even though we might feel bound in a tomb of death, may we trust that the God who raised Jesus from the dead will offer us and our church the same. 


Since General Conference I have found myself drawn to the hymns of Charles Wesley. I offer this as a prayer for these days we are living:


Jesus, Lord, we look to thee;

let us in thy name agree;

show thyself the Prince of Peace,

bid our strife forever cease.


By thy reconciling love

every stumbling block remove;

each to each unite, endear;

come, and spread thy banner here.


Make us of one heart and mind,

gentle, courteous, and kind,

lowly, meek, in thought and word,

altogether like our Lord.


Let us for each other care,

each the other's burdens bear;

to thy church the pattern give,

show how true believers live.


Free from anger and from pride,

let us thus in God abide;

all the depths of love express,

all the heights of holiness. (Charles Wesley)


With love,

Bishop Karen 

No comments:

Post a Comment