Saturday, August 1, 2020

Get Away With God

This week’s lectionary is Matthew 14:13-21, which is commonly referred to as the Feeding of the Five Thousand” (plus the women and children. They weren’t included in the tally. Hmmmm). But I’ve been reflecting on the start of passage: “When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place.”


So what made Jesus get away from it all? He had received word that Herod had beheaded John the Baptist. Perhaps Jesus left in order to remember his cousin and grieve his cousin’s death. Maybe he knew the crowds would be agitated so he left, hoping his departure might deescalate things. Maybe it was all of that and more: perhaps Jesus was weary and just needed a break. 


We, too, are weary. We, too, are in the midst of grief. And, due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are dealing with so many emotions (both our own and others): anger, confusion, loneliness, fear and so much more. 


What might Jesus teach us?


Even though you’ve been social distancing, when are you making it an intentional time to be alone with God and bare your soul? When do you give yourself permission to let go of your responsibilities, get away from your work, walk away from all the demands on you, and simply feel all the things you’ve tucked deep away? In what ways do you bring yourself to lie beside still waters and let God renew your soul?


When Jesus returned to shore, we are told he looked around and was moved into action by what he saw.  He “had compassion” and “healed the sick”. I know when I neglect to make space for my soul to be restored, the first thing to go is my compassion and empathy. In fact, when I start feeling as if everyone is annoying me, I’ve learned it’s less about them and more about me: I haven’t taken time for my soul and everything suffers: my compassion, creativity and productivity. 


When Jesus retuned to shore, he not only healed people, he also fed the multitude. Imagine what God might have you do if you intentionally get away from the crowd and spend time with God. 


Be well. Wear a mask. Stay safe.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Rev.Karen. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blgger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you as a servant of God. I get encouraged when I get opportunity to get connected with the servant of God and that too a Bishop of United Methodist church. What an opportunity to get connected with you through your blog post. I am so blessed by yur blog post which reminds me of spending more time with God to be strengthened in the spirit. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged stengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs and while being Pastor I also served the church of the Nazarene as a District Superintendent of 25 yrs in Mumbai, India, Since you love meeting new people as well as travelling it would be a great honour to have you come to visit India during your vacation time. Since I have been in in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. we reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ tobring healing to the brokengearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your family who are interested in missions come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. I do visit United States very often and God willing if COVID-19 dies by then i am planning to come to US in the next summer. I would love to stop by your place and visit you as you love to meet new pepole.

    ReplyDelete