Monday, October 19, 2020

A CITIZEN OF THE STATE AND A FOLLOWER OF JESUS

 I have been reflecting on this week’s Gospel lesson, Matthew 22:15-22. It is when the Pharisees, along with the Herodians, try to trap Jesus by first flattering him and then asking a question which was, for them, a lose/lose question for Jesus: “Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not?” Jesus recognizes the trap and asks:

“Show me the coin used for the tax.” And they brought him a denarius. 20Then he said to them, “Whose head is this, and whose title?” 21They answered, “The emperor’s.” Then he said to them, “Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” (Matthew 22:19-21)

I confess, I have mainly preached this text for Stewardship Sundays. But studying this scripture in light of a contentious election season has me asking more questions and, as a result, seeing new meaning in the scripture.

As I look at my ballot, I know it is a right and a duty as a citizen of the United States to vote. There is a responsibility to know the issues facing the nation and my community and the various ballot measures that seek to address them.


As a follower of Jesus, my vote is informed by his teaching. I am called to engage the State through my vote in a way that not only betters my life, but to consider how my vote can better the lives of others as well. I don’t vote only for my self-interests but for the larger body of which I am a part.

My first obedience is to God who made this world, all living things, and the human family. While I support a government with my taxes and with my engagement, there is a greater loyalty that guides me. It is what causes me to vote for those things that will protect the earth, care for the most vulnerable, provide health care for all, and insure that our young people have a quality education, no matter where they live. I pay my taxes faithfully so that these things can be a reality.

How about you? What does it mean to give to the government what is the government’s and give to God what is God’s? How will your loyalty as a follow of Jesus inform your vote and the world God desires for all of us?

Be well. Stay safe. Wear a mask.


No comments:

Post a Comment