Wednesday, February 7, 2024

I Will Go, Lord, Where you Lead Me

 This is an anxious season for pastors. I confess from February to the beginning of June, whenever my phone rang I would break out in a cold sweat, and if I noticed it was my DS, I definitely sent it to voicemail. “Why?” you might ask. Because it is appointment season!

We who have said yes to answering a call to ordained ministry in The United Methodist Church agreed to become itinerant preachers, going where God and the Bishop feel our gifts best match the needs of the church. We are not solo practitioners but are a part of a connection of both clergy and churches. This web of connection seeks to multiply effective ministry by deploying clergy across the conference so we can, together, provide a strong and vital witness of God’s love.

This is the season where I, along with the district superintendents, pastors, and Staff Parish Relations Committees, do discerning work. Each pastor has to ask themselves: Am I being fruitful and faithful in my current ministry? Am I growing spiritually? Am I deepening my leadership skills? Do I have the skills this church needs? If I don’t, am I willing/able to learn them?

As bishop and cabinet, we look at every church and every pastor. We look not only at individual churches but clusters of churches as well so that entire regions can have the kinds of pastors needed for support. Data is reviewed, church statements read, and prayers are lifted. Spouse’s and children’s needs are considered, as is community support if a pastor is single.

Itineracy is a proud part of our history, one of the reasons why Methodism spread across this country so effectively. Unmarried circuit riders traveled a circuit of several churches over the course of 5-6 weeks, preaching and teaching and equipping laity for the work of ministry. It wasn’t an easy life back then…prior to 1847, more than half of circuit riders died before they were 30! And it isn’t an easy one now.

 Every time your pastor sings “I will go, Lord, where you lead me,” they are reaffirming their commitment to the itineracy. They are saying they are giving their full selves to serve not in the place they want for themselves, but in the place communal discernment believes is best for the whole as each pastor’s appointment impacts every other pastor’s appointment.


I invite you to be in prayer for the pastors in your life, for the churches throughout our conference, for the district superintendents, and for me as we all, together, seek to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, which always leads us to places we hadn’t expected to go, to be in relationship with people who are new to us, to do things we never thought we would.

No comments:

Post a Comment