Saturday, February 1, 2020

The Church Has Left the Building


This week, I spent a couple of days with students and faculty at Candler School of Theology. On the day I was preaching, a student took me to the chapel. I had never seen such an unusual worship space design. The student saw me taking it all in and said, “It was designed to look like a train station.” When I cocked my head, he continued, “You know, to remind us that we are just passing through.”

I don’t know if this was the seminary equivalent to an urban legend, but his comment has stayed with me all week: “…to remind us that we are just passing through.” What an important thought! So often we think of the church building as the place we “do” our faith. We grow attached and even sentimental about the place (just see what happens when it’s time to change the carpet or move the altar!). We fail to see this sacred space for what it is supposed to impart to us: strength for this journey of faith and life.

The church building is the place we come to connect with others as we seek to deepen our love of God and neighbor. But we don’t leave behind all that we have received along with our nametags when we exit the building! We are to take that love into the world!

We come to church for spiritual fuel, for healing, for comfort, for strength, for connection. It is the well we journey to but don’t stay at. It is the altar we recommit ourselves before but then leave to live out that commitment in our everyday lives. It is a train station where we receive notification of where we are to go next.

I love church buildings. Whenever I travel, I love stopping in churches. I am mindful that for centuries these sacred spaces have helped the faithful lead fruitful lives that blessed others. My prayer is that tomorrow, when you sit in your special sanctuary, you will also remember the lesson from I Corinthians 3:16: “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?” May this equip you to be a blessing to everyone you encounter throughout the rest of your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment