Sunday, September 11, 2022

The Servanthood of a Queen

 This week the world joined the United Kingdom in mourning as Queen Elizabeth died. There have been so many anecdotes about her life over the past several days, but what has stood out for me has been the way her faith shaped her life and leadership.

In her coronation speech, the Queen made a request to all those listening: “I want to ask you all, whatever your religion may be, to pray for me on that day, to pray that God may give me wisdom and strength to carry out the solemn promises I shall be making, and that I may faithfully serve Him and you, all the days of my life.”

She was crowned Queen at the age of 25. As the weight of the crown was placed on her head, she was well aware that the weight of servanthood was also being placed upon her. For the rest of her life, her purpose was to serve.

As I think about this, I realize that in her life we have a clear example of discipleship: when we follow Christ, we shift the focus of our lives from self and instead seek to better the lives around us through the love of God found in Christ Jesus. We might not live in a castle (or many castles) or be a head of state, but each of us possesses within us the mark of Divine Love bestowed upon us by our Creator. Each of us has a unique purpose and mission that no one else possesses. Queen Elizabeth was clear about hers, and it guided her every single day. How about you?

“Billions of people now follow Christ’s teaching and find in him the guiding light for their lives. I am one of them because Christ’s example helps me see the value in doing small things with great love.”—Queen Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment